What is buccal fat removal?
The goal of buccal fat removal is to thin the cheeks, specifically in the area of the cheek hollows. Although a face that is naturally soft and filled out is considered youthful, some people find that their face feels too full, even chubby.
A buccal fat removal removes the buccal fat pad, a naturally-occurring pad of fat in the cheek hollow area. The size of the buccal fat pad varies with each individual patient, and the buccal fat pad in each cheek may be different sizes. Buccal fat pad extraction surgery is typically not performed in people with thin, narrow faces as removal of the fat may cause the face to look more gaunt with age.
Who is a good candidate for buccal fat removal?
Buccal fat removal surgery is a highly individualized procedure. It can address concerns for patients who are worried about full or chubby cheeks. If you are considering this procedure, be sure to do it for yourself, not for someone else or to try to fit any sort of ideal image.
In general, you may be a good buccal fat removal candidate if:
- You are physically healthy and at a stable weight
- You have realistic expectations
- You are a nonsmoker
- You are bothered by the appearance of your chubby cheeks
What should I expect during a consultation for buccal fat removal?
During your buccal fat removal consultation be prepared to discuss:
- Your surgical goals
- Medical conditions, drug allergies and medical treatments
- Current medications, vitamins, herbal supplements, alcohol, tobacco and drug use
- Previous surgeries
We will also :
- Evaluate your general health status and any pre-existing health conditions or risk factors
- Examine your face
- Take photographs
- Discuss your options and recommend a course of treatment
- Discuss likely outcomes of buccal fat removal surgery and any risks or potential complications
The success and safety of your buccal fat removal surgery procedure depends very much on your complete candidness during your consultation. You’ll be asked a number of questions about your health, desires and lifestyle.
Be sure to ask questions. It’s very important to understand all aspects of your buccal fat removal surgery.
It’s natural to feel some anxiety, whether it’s excitement for your anticipated new look or a bit of preoperative stress. Don’t be shy about discussing these feelings with your plastic surgeon.