The nose reshaping surgery, known as rhinoplasty/ rhinoseptoplasty, is one of the most frequent aesthetic surgical interventions. It improves the proportions and the aspect of the nose, transforming it into a more harmonious feature with the rest of the face. The surgical intervention can, likewise, correct breathing problems caused by a faulty nose structure.
What changes can I make to my nose?
The goals of nose reshaping are as individual as the patients who choose to have rhinoplasty. By reshaping the nasal structures, including bone, cartilage, and skin, a cosmetic surgeon can help achieve one or more of the following:
- Straighten a crooked nose
- Smooth a prominent bump in the bridge of the nose
- Reduce the length of an over-protruding nasal tip
- Refine the size of a bulbous nasal tip
- Narrow a nose that is too wide for the face
- Reduce the size of a nose that is too large
- Restore symmetry to the nose following injury
- Correct breathing problems by opening up blocked nasal passages
The access for nose remodeling is ensured by the delicate rising of the soft tissues that cover the nose. In case the nasal structures enlargement is wanted, a cartilage graft from another area of the body can be used, most frequent anatomical part being the nasal cartilaginous septum, from the middle portion of the nose. In some situations, nose or costal cartilage can be used. The breath improvement in case of septum deviation is done through septoplasty, the surgery of the cartilaginous septum.
What should I expect during a consultation for rhinoplasty?
During your rhinoplasty consultation be prepared to discuss:
- Your surgical goals, with regard to both appearance and breathing
- Medical conditions, drug allergies and previous medical treatments
- Current medications, vitamins, herbal supplements, alcohol, tobacco and drug use
- Previous surgeries
The surgeon may also:
- Evaluate your general health status and any pre-existing health conditions or risk factors
- The options available to you for nose reshaping
- Examine and measure your face
- Take photographs
- Discuss your nose surgery options
- Recommend a course of treatment
- Discuss likely outcomes of a nose surgery and any risks or potential complications
Am I a Good Candidate for Rhinoplasty?
Men and women of all ages benefit from rhinoplasty. Nose reshaping is one of the more popular plastic surgery procedures for teenage patients too, although plastic surgeons take special care when evaluating whether or not a younger patient is ready for rhinoplasty.
For patients of any age, it is important to have realistic expectations. Rhinoplasty can help you improve upon your existing nose, but it cannot deliver “perfection” nor can it give you the nose of someone else. A skilled, qualified cosmetic surgeon will explain to you what is possible and help you achieve a nose that looks natural with your unique features.